Resource Spotlight: New Support Group for Tweens & Teens!
brought to you by
“Where Am I From & Where Am I Going?”: A Support Groups for “Tweens” & “Teens!”
America World’s ACT summer support & educational groups are in full swing and we are excited to have the opportunity to directly support our families! We have had a lot of interest in our upcoming support groups for teens, and quite a bit from a little younger crowd. Because of that, we have decided to host two groups! One will be for adopted children ages ~10 to ~13 (“Tweens”), and another for teens ~14+ (“Teens). We have had several questions about how this group will function, so here are some details:
- The group meets via video conference where several kids (we are limiting it to 7) and 1 leader can talk on their computer, tablet, or smartphone. Each kid can use video & audio, or audio only if they want; video can show them all on the screen “Brady Bunch” style and definitely enhances communication.
- During the group the kids will be encouraged to talk and learn, share their stories and struggles, ask questions, etc. The leader will have some “ice breakers” and planned presentation/discussion format around common adoption issues. If the kids are really talkative, the leader will really encourage that interaction (but keep it focused on common struggles around being adopted and being that age), but if the kids are shy, the leader will do more structured presentation/discussion. We will address topics like coping skills, bullying, common stressors, friends, family, –whatever they seem to want to talk about.
- The leader is a trained adoption professional with experience with counseling children this age.
- There will be some ground rules in the group around confidentiality, respect, and sharing only what they are comfortable sharing.
- Parent involvement will consistent of a phone or videoconference conversation with an ACT coach prior to the child’s participation so that we can get to know a little bit about the child, and also set expectations around the group. Parents will be updated on the child’s progress on a regular basis, and informed immediately of any significantly concerning issues.
The cost to participate is $25/session, with 3-session minimum purchase.
- The TWEEN group (ages ~10 – ~13) will start Thursday, July 20, at 9pm EST (8pm CST, 7pm MTN, 6pm PST), and each group will last about 1 hour. Registration and payment for the 1st session is due by 5pm July 19, but we strongly encourage you to reach out to us sooner so we have ample time to schedule the parent introductory call.
- The TEEN group (ages ~14+ ) will start once we have at least 3 interested teenagers, and the date and time will be determined then. Email us at ACT@awaa.org to get your name on the list!
Use this Registration Form to sign up, or email ACT@awaa.org, or call 800-429-3369, for more information.
Also remember that “Overcoming Post-Adoption Blues: When Life After Your Adoption is Not What you Expected,” a 5-session educational support group, will begin meeting on July 12, every other Wednesday at 9pm EST, for 5 sessions.
And, our next free monthly educational support group will meet on Thursday July 20, 2017, 7pm – 9pm EST. This month’s topic is “Siblings in Adoption.” Contact ACT@awaa.org for more information!
ACT (Adoption Coaching and Training) is a ministry of America World Adoption designed to support families through training, support groups, and individualized coaching. Explore ACT services on our website, and reach out to us today for a free consultation to make a plan to meet your needs.