Meet Our Social Services Team: Janet Woods, Ohio
Did you know that America World works in all 50 states and has offices in 23 states, including our corporate office? We provide home study and post-adoption services to families adopting domestically and internationally, through America World or through another licensed agency. Each state is directed by one of our trained adoption professionals who share our vision for placing children in loving, Christian homes. Our Directors are a vital part of our organization, and on the first Monday of each month, we would like to honor them by spotlighting one of them on our blog.
This month we highlight Janet Woods, Director of Social Services of our Ohio office. Janet obtained her LSW soon after graduating from The University of Toledo with a Bachelors degree in Psychology, and she has worked in various roles assisting children and families. Her concern for orphans began when she lived for several years in Ukraine serving her church and providing humanitarian aid to orphanages. Fifteen years and three children later, she still could not abandon the idea that she could play a small part in the pure religion referred to in James 1:27: to care for orphans. So, they adopted a son from China to be the 4th and youngest child in their family. Then, in late 2016, Janet joined the America World team as the director of our Ohio office where she has served diligently.
Here are a few fun facts about Janet:
- Where were you born? Where do you consider home? I was born in Findlay, Ohio and grew up in the “one stop light” little town of Arlington in Northwest Ohio. I consider the “Metro Columbus Area” of Central Ohio my home and have lived in several areas of the city for the past 25 years. Currently, my family lives in the suburb of Grove City.
- At an ice cream shop, you are most likely to order: Whatever each of my kids wants….and then I will take a “mom tax” of each while enjoy my preferred indulgence of a cup of coffee and a cookie.
- What is your favorite sports team? Whatever Little League or High School team one of my kids is playing on this season.
- What is your favorite book? Why? Way too many to list! Any children’s book by Cynthia Rylant and any adult fiction or non-fiction book that will lead to a rousing conversation at the dinner table.
- How do you relax and refresh? A moment in the sun with my feet in the sand. At a real beach if possible or in my mind if necessary.
- Any pets? Nope. I like to think people thrive in this house, plants survive…but pets…that’s pushing it. A few fish have given it a try….but don’t even ask about the one that ended up in the garbage disposal!
- Are you a morning person or a night owl? Night owl by nature but I have learned to enjoy the morning since my husband is a morning person and I do love to see the sunrise. I guess that means I just don’t sleep much.
- The last movie you saw in the theater was: Too long ago to remember. I prefer seeing a movie on my couch with free snacks and the ability to pause if anyone needs a bathroom break.
- At an amusement park, do you ride the monster roller coasters? I always used to love roller coasters but now my speed is more driving the minivan around in circles from one kid activity to another.
- Advice for new adoptive parents? Spread GRACE as thick as possible over everyone – including yourself.
America World Adoption provides full adoption services in the State of Ohio and 22 other states, including home study and post-adoption services. America World is licensed to assist families with their international adoption in all 50 states and has seen over 4,600 children adopted from 12 countries. For more information, visit awaa.org or contact us at Info@awaa.org and 800-429-3369.