America World will be having a Christmas hosting session with older orphaned children from China. We have 11 children in China who are ready to come to the Washington, DC region for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year. The dates are December 22 – January 9 and we need families urgently, in the next few days, to make it happen.
All 11 of these children are healthy and adoptable. The cost is $2,000 - $2,500, there are both boys and girls available to host and the age range is 10 - 13. To view the photo listings of these children, visit the profile page, log in with the password “angel”, search by country, and click on “Welcoming Angels”.
The purpose of this program is to find forever families for these orphans, either with the host family or with other adoption-minded families in the community. We are looking for families to host these amazing orphans, as well as the translator who will be accompanying them. Our program is open right now for people to sign up and we would love to see you as one of our host families. Please take a look at the photo listing, the Welcoming Angels flyer, and read through the information below to learn more about how to become a host family.
To apply to be a host family, please complete an online application. After logging in, or creating a new account, you will select "International Adoption" from the application choices. After completing each step of this application, you will be directed to the payment page. Select "Application Fee - Hosting" from the fee options for the reduced hosting fee of $100. The deadline for the application is Friday, November 21st, as we are holding a host family training session here at the McLean office on Saturday, November 22nd, from 2:30PM – 5:00PM.
Through Welcoming Angels, America World hopes to place older orphaned children ages 9 - 13 years with loving Christian families. America World is looking for adoption-minded families as well as those who are interested in advocating for orphans. Hosting is a great way to expand the community’s awareness of the needs of older orphaned children.
Hosting Program Costs
The hosting fees will be roughly $2,000 per child*. This cost includes an application fee, social work services, training for the host family, travel documents and airfare for the Ukrainian child. Host families may choose to fundraise part of the hosting cost. The hosting experience can be presented as a “reverse mission” opportunity for the community. The Hosting Liaison for your area will be working within the local churches and community to provide fundraising opportunities and cost reduction strategies.
* Exact costs will be quoted when the host program is confirmed for your area.
Registration Steps for Interested Host Families
- Complete the full AW application online ($100 to be paid online) at: http://www.awaa.org/apply/default.aspx.
- Upon approval, you will be given the hosting agreement for your signature, as well as medical examination and background check instructions.
- Your America World social worker will contact you to schedule a Home Safety Visit/Family Interview.
- Your social worker will finalize your Host Family Approval and your Host Family Training will be scheduled with the other host families in the program.
- The potential host child information will be presented to your family for review.
Qualifications to be a Host Family
- A host family must be a Christian family and active members in a local church.
- Only Married Couples. Young couples must have been married at least two years. (divorce permitted but a maximum of two)
- Host parents: One parent must be at least 25 years. Both parents must be over 21. There can be no less then 15 years different between age of adopted child and youngest parent.
- Host families must have the financial stability to take care of the host child’s needs and pay program fees by designated dates.
- Host families must have an available bed and sleeping space for the child.
- Each adult family member living in the home must complete a medical examination (some health conditions and mental health conditions may prevent a person from hosting and adopting. These will be reviewed in the screening process).
- Each adult (18 & older) residing in the home will need to complete criminal and child abuse background clearances.
- One parent will need to be with the child throughout the visit and provide supervision at all times.
- Both parents must sign and abide by the discipline policy (corporal punishment is prohibited during the hosting period).
- Each host family must complete a successful Home Safety Visit/Family Interview report by a social worker.
- Each host family must be open to working with America World throughout the process.