The Adoption Tax Credit (ATC) makes adoption more affordable and helps children find families. But the ATC is being considered for elimination as part of broader tax reform efforts.
You can help protect the ATC by sharing your adoption story — reminding Congress how important adoption is for children and families.
Legislators will only #SaveTheATC if they understand the ATC's real-world impact and know that their constituents support it.
With 8 easy steps, you'll share your story directly with your Members of Congress!
1. Click here using your phone or computer with a camera.
2. Click Send Video. A new window will pop up - click Make a Video.
3. The camera will turn on, and you're ready to record! Click the red button to start recording.
4. When you're done telling your story, click the red button again to stop recording.
5. Review your video to make sure it's what you want, and re-record if you want to make any changes.
6. Click Send Video Message – and you're done!
7. Enter your info or log in with Facebook – it will ask you if your zip code is correct. Click confirm to send the message to your Members of Congress!
8. Click the Facebook and Twitter buttons to share immediately with others and encourage them to take action too!
And don’t stop there – once you’ve recorded your story, make sure to share it on Facebook and Twitter! Here are some sample tweets and posts, along with an attachment that lists each Member of Congress’ Twitter handle so you can tweet at them directly.
- The adoption tax credit made adoption possible for me and my family. Watch my story here [LINK] #SavetheATC #taxreform
- @(your Member of Congress) Without the adoption tax credit, I wouldn't have been able to afford adoption. My story here [LINK] #SavetheATC #taxreform
- For me and thousands of families, the adoption tax credit made adoption possible. Watch my story here [LINK] #SavetheATC #taxreform
Sample Facebook Post
Without the adoption tax credit, I would not have been able to bring home my child[ren]. Watch my story here! [LINK]. Please join me and tell Congress we must save this credit! #SavetheATC #taxreform