India Adoption Requirements
India Adoption Processing Time
- The average timeframe for an adoption process from India is 18-24 months and decreasing. Families adopting a currently waiting child may experience a quicker timeframe. The waiting timeframe for a referral of a child and the subsequent approvals within India is unpredictable and unknown for each family.
Children Available in India
- The children who are available for adoption are boys and girls, some sibling sets, ages 6 months - 15 years of age. Families research medical needs during the home study process and list the medical needs they are comfortable considering adopting. Medical needs include; heart conditions, blood conditions (including HIV), hand, foot, leg or arm differences, vision or hearing impairments, cleft lip/palate, developmental delays, spine conditions, cerebral palsy as well as other medical conditions. Many conditions can be corrected or managed by surgery or therapy and many children receive therapy or surgery while in India. America World has many resources to help families research and consider various medical needs or adopting an older child.
Parent's Ages for India Adoption
- Minimum age 25 (30 for single women). See chart for parent-to-child age ranges.
|AGE OF CHILD||MAXIMUM COMPOSITE AGE OF PROSPECTIVE ADOPTIVE PARENTS (COUPLE)||MAXIMUM AGE OF SINGLE PROSPECTIVE ADOPTIVE PARENT|
|UP TO 4 YRS.||90 years||45 years|
|OVER 4 YRS. & UP TO 8 YRS.||100 years||50 years|
|OVER 8 YRS. & UP TO 18 YRS.||110 years||55 years|
Marriage Status for India Adoption
- Couples should be married a minimum of 2 years.
Divorce Restrictions for India Adoption
- Couples with more than one divorce are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Children in Home for India Adoption
- Families with up to 3 children in the home qualify to adopt from India. Families with 3 children in the home must adopt a child with some level of medical need. Families with 4 children in the home, or single women with 2 children in the home, can apply to adopt a child who is older than 5 years or a younger child with a moderate to severe medical need.
India Adoption Income Requirements
- Families must be able to show they can adequately provide financially for their children. Income and full financial status will be evaluated as part of the adoption process
Criminal History for India Adoption
- All criminal history will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Any felonies or crimes against children will disqualify families from eligibility.
Medical History for India Adoption
- Applicants must show that they are physically and mentally fit to parent a child by adoption. Current, major, or chronic medical issues within the past 2 years, including mental health diagnosis, are considered on a case by case basis.
Traveling to India for Adoption
- Families will typically be in India for 2 weeks. This includes traveling to the city where the child’s orphanage is located as well as working with the U.S. Consulate in New Delhi.
Post-Adoption Requirements for India
- Post Adoption report requirements vary depending on the requirements of the orphanage, province and court decree. The minimum report requirement is every 6 months for 2 years. The maximum is every 3 months for 2 years with additional self-reports every 6 months for 5 additional years.
Be sure to visit our Financing Adoption page to learn how to reduce or eliminate your adoption expenses!
**Please refer to America World's Agency Adoption Requirements for a complete list of requirements.