China Adoption Requirements:
- Application through dossier submission will take approximately 4-6 months. The wait time for a referral varies. Please see the AWAA Blog for the most current estimations of wait times.
- After a referral is accepted and approval from China is received, the wait time to travel is within 2-3 months
- Healthy Program: Boys/ Girls, ages 6 months to 3 years. No longer accepting applicants into this program due to China’s increased wait times.
- Waiting Children Program: Boys / Girls 6 months - 13 1/2 years. Adoption law in China requires that a child is adopted prior to their 14th birthday. We have a large number of orphanage partnerships in four provinces and also utilize CCCWA's shared list to identify children for matching based on the age, gender, and medical conditions that a family is open to. The CCCWA designates Waiting Program Children into two categories: minor medical needs or special focus (SF); Children in the SF category may be matched with families at any stage of the adoption process. Those designated as having minor medical needs must be matched with a family whose paperwork is completed and logged in with China. Families not meeting eligibility requirement may be approved to adopt a child in the SF category. Contact our China program for more details.
- Minimum age 30 at time of dossier submission. (can start process at 29 ½)
- If both parents are over 50, no more than a 50 year age difference between child and the younger applicant. (by Chinese international adoption law, children must be adopted before age 14)
- Couples must be married a minimum of 2 years. Single women can adopt and age between single adopter and child can be no more than 45 years. See "Single Women Requirements" below.
- Permitted (maximum of two per spouse). Remarried couples must be married for at least 5 years to adopt.
Single Women Requirements
- Minimum age of 30 years at dossier submission (can start process at 29 ½). No more than 45 years age difference between parent and adoptive child.
- No more than 3 children under the age of 18 in the home and youngest child must be older than 6 years at time of application.
- No major medical conditions, and BMI under 40 (please contact our China staff for exceptions that can be made for certain medical conditions)
- Cannot be living with a male partner
- May adopt one child at a time, with an interval of at least one year between adoptions
- Annual income of at least $20,000 plus $10,000 per child in the home, including child to be adopted; minimum $100,000 net worth
Children in Family
- There are no restrictions on family size for married couples.
- Income requirements: $10,000 per family member currently in the home (including the child to be adopted), and minimum $80,000 net worth (total assets minus total liabilities). Flexibility for families in regions with lower costs of living (inquire with our China staff).
Criminal History •
- No major criminal history in past 10 years permitted. Minor instances reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- No alcohol abuse within past ten years, no history of drug use or experimentation
- No history of domestic violence, sexual abuse, or child abuse
- Both spouses must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Medical History •
- Must be in good physical and mental condition.
- For married couples, if diagnosed with anxiety, depression, mania, phobia, or OCD, must be under good control with a small dose of medication and have a positive physician’s letter. If one parent has (or has had) cancer, lupus, nephrosis, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, hearing or language function impairment, or organ transplant within the last ten years, must be under good control AND the other parent must be healthy.
- Must not have significant vision loss, limb impairment or paralysis, schizophrenia, or infectious diseases (such as HIV).
- Body Mass Index (BMI) must be under 40
- Families may discuss condition(s) with the China program staff before applying.
Travel to Country
- At least one parent must travel. Average stay is 12-15 days.
- Post adoption reports are due at 6 & 12 months, 2, 3, 4 and 5 years.
Be sure to visit our Financing Adoption page to learn how to reduce or eliminate your adoption expenses!
• Some exceptions given by the CCCWA on a case by case basis for the waiting children program. Families should inquire or complete a free pre-application to find out more about their adoption options.
**Please refer to America World's Agency Adoption Requirements for a complete list of requirements.